We have signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organizations and individuals in taking purposeful action – collective & individual – to reduce their carbon emissions. Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
We at GreenHippo Travels, believe that sustainable travel has the potential to have a large positive impact on our guests, our local suppliers and the environment.
Since our founding we have been welcoming guests to Tanzania, showing them the best that the country has to offer. We have always had a sustainable approach towards travel, with activities that give back to the places and communities that we visit. We use local suppliers, stay in small scale accommodations, organize our safaris plastic free and include cultural tours in our itineraries.
We believe that the sustainable tourism industry is the best chance our country has to regenerate our nature, and to undo the many years of environmental damage that were caused by the unfortunate economic and political realities of our past.
Since our founding, we have worked to introduce sustainable tourism to Tanzania, and to have a positive impact on our environment, but we can’t ignore that we are part of a larger industry with a huge negative impact on our planet.
Reducing this negative impact is a challenge everyone in the travel industry is faced with and acknowledging the seriousness of the environmental situation, is an important step to overcoming this challenge. For this reason, we are declaring a climate emergency.
GreenHippo Travels declares a climate emergency: By declaring a climate emergency, we are publicly committing to the following five actions:
1. Develop a Climate Action Plan In the next 12 months we will publish a Climate Action Plan, taking into account the regional peculiarities and other problems in our unique setting. This plan will be adopted by us as soon as possible.
2. Sharing our commitment and progress publicly every year We plan to share our commitment to the cause of responsible travel at length on our website. We inform our guests and suggest ways in which they can reduce their environmental impact while travelling and how they can offset their carbon emissions.
3. Cutting carbon emissions We accept the need to cut global carbon emissions to help battle climate change. To combat this threat, we use renewable energy as much as possible, and have started a program to offset the carbon emissions of our entire activity.
4. Work together with suppliers and partners We actively encourage our suppliers and partners to reduce their carbon emissions, reduce plastic consumption and adopt sustainable tourism practices.
5. Advocating for change We recognize the need for change across the industry to accelerate a transition towards carbon-free tourism.